1. A train travels at an average speed of 90 km/hr without any stoppages. However, its average speed decreases to 60km/hr on account of stoppages. On an average, how many minutes per hour does the train stop?
a. 80 m b. 64 min c. 40 min d. 20 min
2. A train covers the distance between stations X and Y, 50 minutes faster than a goods train. Find this distance if the average speed of the train is 60 kmph and that of goods train is 20 kmph.
a. 30 km b. 25 km c. 50 km d. 20 km
3. If a boat is moving in upstream with velocity of 14 km/hr and goes downstream with a velocity of 40 km/hr, then what is the speed of the stream ?
a. 15 km/hr b. 18 km/hr c. 20 km/hr d. 13 km/hr
4. Two trains move in the same direction at 50 kmph and 32 kmph respectively. A man in the slower train observes the 15 seconds elapse before the faster train completely passes by him. What is the length of faster train ?
a. 100 m b. 50 m c. 75 m d. 120m
5. A farmer travelled a distance of 61 km in 9 hours. He travelled partly on foot @ 4 km/hr and partly on bicycle @ 9 km/hr. The distance travelled on foot is:
a. 16 km b. 12 km c. 14 km d. 20km
6. In a flight of 600 km, an aircraft was slowed down due to bad weather. Its average speed for the trip was reduced by 200 km/hr and the time of flight increased by 30 minutes. The duration of the flight is:
a. 3 hrs b. 1 hr c. 2.5 hrs d. 2 hrs
7. It takes eight hours for a 600 km journey, if 120 km is done by train and the rest by car. It takes 20 minutes more, if 200 km is done by train and the rest by car. The ratio of the speed of the train to that of the cars is:
a. 1:3 b. 3:2 c. 3:4 d. 2:3
8. A man goes from city A to city B situated 60 kms apart by a boat. His onward journey was with the stream while the return journey was an upstream journey. It took him four and half hours to complete the round trip. If the speed of the stream is 10 km/hr, how long did it take him to complete the onward journey?
a. 1.5 hrs b. 3 hrs c. 1.25 hrs d. 2 hrs
9. A thief steals a car at 2.30pm and drives it at 60kmph. The theft is discovered at 3pm and the owner sets off in another car at 75kmph. When will he overtake the thief?
a. 3:45 pm b.4:00 pm b. 4:30 pm d. 5 pm
10. In covering distance,the speeds of A & B are in the ratio of 3:4.A takes 30minutes more than B to reach the destination. The time taken by A to reach the destination is
a. 1 hr b. 2hr c. 3hr d. 2.5 hrs
11. Two boys starting from the same place walk at a rate of 5 kmph and 5.5 kmph respectively.What time(in hours) will they take to be 8.5 km apart, if they walk in the same direction?
a. 10 b. 18 c. 12 d. 17
12. Two trains starting at the same time from 2 stations 200 km apart and going in opposite direction cross each other at a distance of 110 km from one of the stations.What is the ratio of their speeds?
a. 11: 15 b. 11:9 c. 7:9 d. 9:11
13. A train covers a distance in 50 min ,if it runs at a speed of 48kmph on an average.The speed at which the train must run to reduce the time of journey to 40 min will be?
a. 72 kmph b. 24 kmph c. 60 kmph d. 30 kmph
14. A train can travel 50% faster than a car. Both start from point A at the same time and reach point B 75 kms away from A at the same time. On the way, however, the train lost about 12.5 minutes while stopping at the stations. The speed of the car is:
a. 72 kmph b. 60 kmph c. 72 kmph d. 80kmph
15. A husband and wife 81 miles apart from each other, start travelling towards each other at the same time, as decided. If the man covers 5 miles per hour to the women’s 4 miles per hour, how far will the woman have traveled when they meet?
a. 40 km b. 36 km c. 32km d. 24 km
16. A man on a tour to Delhi travels first 160 km at 64 km/hr and the next 160 km at 80 km/hr. The average speed for the first 320 km of the tour is
a. 69.8 b. 71.1 c. 80.2 d. 49.7
17. A man can row three-quarters of a kilometre against the stream in 11 ¼ minutes and down the
stream in 7.5 minutes. The speed (in km/hr) of the man in stil water is:
a. 3 b. 2 c. 5 d. 6
18. There are two parallel tracks between two towns F and S. One train which is 150 m in length, moves at a speed of 60 km/hr. Another train, 120 m in length, leaves 5 minutes after the first train in the same direction and has a speed of 90km/hr. At what distance will the second train completely overtake the first train?
a. 11.5 km b. 10.5 km c. 21km d. 15km
19. A train has 24 carriages, the length of each being 60 metres. The length of the engine is also 60 metres. The train is travelling at a speed of 60 km/hr. Find the time it will take to cross a bridge which is 1.5 kilometres long.
a. 5 min b. 2.4 min c. 3 min d. 4min
20. A man is standing on a railway bridge which is 180 m long. He finds that a train crosses the bridge in 20 seconds but himself in 8 seconds. Find the length of the train and its speed?
a. 100m, 20 m/s b. 120m, 20 m/s c.120m, 15 m/s d. 100 m, 15m/s
21. A man sitting in a train which is traveling at 50 kmph observes that a train, traveling in opposite direction, takes 9 seconds to pass him. If the train is 280 m long, find its speed?
a. 60 kmph b. 62 kmph c. 72 kmph d. 80 kmph
22. A person can row a distance of one kilometre downstream in 15 minutes and return in 30 minutes. What is the velocity of the current?
a. 2 km/hr b. 1.5 km/hr c. 3km/hr d. 1 km/hr
23. A train 100 m long is running at the speed of 30 km / hr. Find the time taken by it to pass a man standing near the railway line.
a. 10 s b. 12s c. 20 s d. 8s
24. There is a cycling track which is 45 kilometres long. Two cyclists start at the same time but from the two different ends of the track. If the speed of one is 16 km/hr and the speed of the other is 14 km/hr, after how much time will they meet?
a. 2 hrs b. 3 hrs c. 1.5 hrs d. 2.5 hrs
25. A boat takes four hours to cover a certain distance along the direction of the flow of the river. The speed of the river is 3 km/hr. The boat takes five hours to make the return journey. What is the speed of the boat?
a. 24 km/hr b. 18 km/hr c. 21 km/hr d. 27 km/hr