1. A train traveling at 72 kmph crosses a platform in 30 seconds and a man standing on the platform in 18 seconds. What is the length of the platform in meters?
a.360 m b.240 m c.640 m d.720 m
2. J covered a distance of 340 miles between city A and city taking a total of 5 hours. If part of the distance was covered at 60 miles per hour speed and the balance at 80 miles per hour speed, how many hours did she travel at 60 miles per hour?
a.4hrs b.2.5 hours c.1 hour d. 3 hrs
3. A runs 25% faster than B and is able to give him a start of 7 meters to end a race in dead heat. What is the length of the race?
a. 35 m b. 40 m c.150 m d.175 m
4. S traveled the first 2 hours of his journey at 40 mph and the last 3 hours of his journey at 80 mph. What is his average speed of travel for the entire journey?
a. 53.33 mph b.64 mph c.66.67 mph d.120 mph
5. A train traveling at 100 kmph overtakes a motorbike traveling at 64 kmph in 40 seconds. What is the length of the train in meters?
a. 400m b. 700m c.1400 m d. 1200m
6. N drives into the city to buy a software program at a computer store. Because of traffic conditions, she averages only 15 m/h. On her drive home she averages 35 m/h. If the total travel time is 2 hours, how long does it take her to drive to the computer store?
a. 1.35h b.1.4h c.14h d.30h
7. J and P leave their home traveling in opposite directions on a straight road. P drives 15 m/h faster than J. After 3 hours, they are 225 m apart. Find P’s rate and J’s speed.
a. 35, 20 m/hr b. 40,30 m/hr c. 45,30 m/hr d. 40,25 m/hr
8. Two cyclists start at the same time from opposite ends of a course that is 45 miles long. One cyclist is riding at 14 mph and the second cyclist is riding at 16 mph. How long after they begin will they meet?
a.3hrs b. 1.5 hrs c. 4 hrs d.2 hrs
9.Two trains running in opposite directions cros a man standing on the platform in 27 seconds and 17 seconds respectively and they cros each other in 23 seconds. The ratio of their speeds is:
a. 1:2 b.2:3 c. 3:2 d.1:3
10. A train traveling at a speed of 75 mph enters a tunnel 3.5 miles long. The train is 0.25 miles long. How long does it take for the train to pass through the tunnel from the moment the front enters to the moment the rear emerges?
a. 3 min b. 1.5 min c. 5min d.1.25 min
11. How many seconds will a 500 metres long train take to cross a man walking with a speed of 3km/hr in the direction of the moving train if the speed of the train is 63 km/hr?
a. 45 b.30 c.25 d.50
12. A train moves past a telegraph post and a bridge 264 m long in 8 seconds and 20 seconds respectively. What is the speed of the train?
a. 79 km/hr b. 64 km/hr c. 69.5km/hr d. 79.2km/hr
13. A train running at the speed of 60 km/hr crosses a pole in 9 seconds. What is the length of the train?
a.100 m b. 120m c.150 m d. 180m
14. A boat running downstream covers a distance of 16 km in 2 hours while for covering the same distance upstream, it takes 4 hours. What is the speed of the boat in still water?
a. 6km/hr b. 4 km/hr c.12 km/hr d.18 km/hr
15. Ram and Shyam run a race between points A and B, 5 km apart. Ram starts at 9 a.m. from A at a speed of 5 km/hr, reaches B, and returns to A at the same speed. Shyam starts at 9:45 a.m. from A at a speed of 10 km/hr, reaches B and comes back to A at the same speed.
At what time do Ram and Shyam first meet each other?
a. 10:00 a.m b. 10:10 a.m. c. 10:20 a.m. d. 10:30 a.m.
16. At what time does Shyam overtake Ram?
a. 10:20 a.m. b. 10:30 a.m. c. 10:40 a.m. d. 10:50 a.m.
17. Two boats, traveling at 5 and 10 kms per hour, head directly towards each other. They begin at a distance of 20 kms from each other. How far apart are they (in kms) one minute before they collide?
a. 1/12 b. 1/6 c. ¼ d. 1/3
18. A boat covers a certain distance downstream in 1 hour, while it comes back in 1.5 hours. If the speed of the stream be 3 kmph, what is the speed of the boat in still water?
a. 15 kmph b.10 kmph c. 25 kmph d.35 kmph
19. A, B and K start from the same place and travel in the same direction at speeds of 30, 40 and 60 km per hour respectively. B starts two hours after A. If B and K overtake A at the same instant, how many hours after A did K start?
a. 3 b. 3.5 c. 4 d. 4.5
20. A boat travels from point A to point B upstream and returns from point B to point A downstream. If the round trip takes the boat 5 hours and the distance between point A and point B is 120 kms and the speed of the stream is 10 km/hr, how long did the upstream journey take?
a. 2 hours 40 minutes b. 2 hours c. 3 hours d. 2 hours and 24 minutes
21. P chases A on his bike. P’s jeep runs at a speed of 2160 m every 5 sec and bike at 360 m/s. If A is initially 12 km ahead then how far P will travel to catch A?
a. 80 km b. 72 km c. 64 km d. 56 km
22. A man jogging inside a railway tunnel at a speed of 10 km/hr hears a train approaching the tunnel from behind, when he is one fourth of the way inside the tunnel. Whether he keeps running forward or turns back, he will reach the end of tunnel at the same time train reaches that end. The speed at which train is running is:
a. 20 km/hr b. 40 km/hr c. 60 km/hr d. 100 km/hr
23. A boat which has a speed of 5kms/hr in still water crosses a river of width 1km along the shortest possible path in 15 minutes. The velocity of river water is …. Km/hr?
a. 1 b. 3 c. 4 d.5
24. R walks around the circular park in 15 minutes. If she walks at the rate of 5 km/hr, how much distance would she have to travel, at the minimum, to reach the centre of the park from any point on its perimeter?
a. 100 m b. 200 m c.250 m d. 300 m
25. A man walks from his house to the Railway station to catch a train, which is running as per schedule. If he walks at 6 km/hr, he misses the train by 9 minutes. However, if he walks at 7 km/hr, he reaches the station 6 minutes before the departure of train. The distance of his home to the Railway Station is:
a. 1.25 km b. 1.10 km c.1.05 km d. 1.5 km