Points to remember
Dr. Angela Merkel Scholarship; Master’s Scholarship for European Law
The scholarship programme offers highly qualified graduate students in the field of law to complete a master’s degree programme (LL.M.) and specialize in European Law at selected German higher education institutions.
Who can apply?
The programme is aimed at graduate students in the field of law who have earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (1st class).
What is supported?
A one year Master of Law programme in English at one of the following higher education institutions:
- Europa Institut, Universität des Saarlandes: Master of European Integration
- Europa-Kolleg Hamburg: European and European Legal Studies
- Freie Universität Berlin: Master of European and International Business, Competition and Regulatory Law (MBL)
Duration of funding
2 months German language in Germany (August to September)
10-month to 12-month study period (October to July or September) depending on course length
Following a pre-selection round, qualified applicants will be invited for an interview conducted by a bi-national Selection Committee at the DAAD office in New Delhi (expected end of January / beginning of February 2015).
What requirements have to be fulfilled?
In general, applicants must have completed a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (1st class) at the time of application.
Further to that, the following requirements must be fulfilled by the time of application:
- No more than six years should have passed since gaining the last degree.
- Applicants should be residents in India.
- Applicants, who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months, cannot be considered.
- Applicants must hold the Indian citizenship.
Please note: The scholarship award letter from the DAAD only becomes effective once the holder has been admitted to studies.
Proficiency of the German language is not mandatory at the time of application, but high proficiency of the English language
Please submit two copies of application documents by post:
- Printout of online application form with passport-size photograph andsignature
- Full curriculum vitae
- Statement about academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany (letter of motivation)
- Two recent references from university teachers which provide information about the applicant’s qualifications; please enclose one copy of the reference in a sealed envelope with each copy of your application.
Please use form “Reports on scholarship applications submitted by foreign students, graduates, doctoral students and postdocs” from DAAD website.
- University degree certificates indicating final grade(s)
- Recent language certificate giving evidence of the applicant’s level of proficiency of the English language (TOEFL min. 550 paper based, 213 computer based, 80 internet based, or IELTS (band 6) certificate)
Please note: The first and last name filled in the application form should be identical to the name in the passport.
More details about the scholarship is available here